Monday, December 28, 2009

Sweet Potato Spaetzle

The night I made these chewy German noodles I served them with roast leg of lamb and the meal was a knockout. Das schmeckt! But then the next day I fried the leftovers in a pan with a bit of browned butter and Parmesan until they got a little crispy and they were even better. I’m thinking that the next time I make them I may even toss them with roasted brussels sprouts and some toasted pecans.

Because the thing about these spaetzle is that they’re as versatile as a circle scarf.

Sweet Potato Spaetzle

(serves 6-8)

Ingredients:

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled

1 tsp sugar

1 tsp salt

¾ cup water

1 tbsp olive oil

½ tsp grated nutmeg

½ tsp dried sage

5 cups flour

1 tsp salt

½ tsp fresh ground black pepper

5 eggs

1 tbsp oil

Method:

Peel the sweet potatoes, cut into large pieces and put in a pot of cold water. Bring to a boil, add 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp sugar then lower temperature to medium and continue simmering for 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft. Drain in colander, let them cool then mash in a bowl.

In an electric mixer with the dough paddle attachment on low speed, combine the mashed sweet potatoes with water and 1 tbsp oil, then add the flour, one cup at a time, plus salt and pepper. Once flour is mixed in, add the eggs one at a time, then once all in, knead in the mixer for 10 minutes, then refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Put a pot of salted boiling water on to boil. If you don’t have a spaetzle press (I don’t), use a spoon and your finger and drop in ropey pieces of spaetzle. When the noodles float to the surface, they’re done. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a bowl and toss with a bit of olive oil.

(I adapted this from the recipe for Olaf Mertens' beet spaetzle in “Olaf’s Kitchen")

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

For a more authentic Spaetzli, press the batter through a large-holed colander. It's what I used before I got a proper Spaetzli-maker.

Amy said...

Thanks for the tip. I must confess I did try that but the holes on my colander were too small so it was a no-go. I should have mentioned that in the recipe.

Jamal Mohamed said...

Great post on "Sweet Potato Spaetzle". As a professional chef i have to appreciate your work. Keep Posting useful posts like this. Keep in touch with my websites- chocolate college dubai | chocolate course dubai

Roger said...

Good readding