Thursday, January 21, 2010

Snack of the day


Listen, I'm no health nut, as illustrated here, here, and here, but one day not so long ago, through no fault of my own, I accidentally started munching on someone's Cinnamon Streusel Mini-Wheats, and thought, hey, this is a delicious snack, all sweet and crunchy -- and wheaty too.
I almost never buy breakfast cereal but thought I might like some Mini-Wheats to call my own.
And that's when I discovered that Kellogg's has really picked up their game lately, because the last time I ate Mini-Wheats I was a kid and there was one choice -- Original.
Now there are over half a dozen flavours, including Blueberry Muffin, Strawberry Delight and Honey Nut. I chose Brown Sugar, pictured here, and I've got to tell you, my Thiamin levels have never been higher.
Seriously, though a bit of sweet treat, it's also packed with whole grain fibre, has no added salt, is fat-free and provides 50% of your daily iron requirements.
And FYI, I'll save you some time and money by letting you know that Cinnamon Streusel is the best flavour of the bunch.

6 comments:

Andrew said...

A very incorrect analysis on a rather tasty subject. For the record, Blueberry Muffin is the most delicious flavour to snack on, whilst Cinnamon Streusel is the best in a milk environment.

Amy said...

You sir, could not be more wrong. Blueberry Muffin is the very worst of the bunch, while Cinnamon Streusel loses some of its umph with the addition of milk.

Renée said...

You're both off the mark here. ;) Wait until you get your hands into a box of Vector cereal. Think crunchy munchy toasted whole wheat flakes (with that hint of cinnamon) and little granola clusters of goodness... mmmm.

It's addictive.

After your Vector exposure, you'll find mini-wheats tasting like little bundles of hay (regardless of the layer of frosting on its sweet side).

If you drink a glass of milk with Vector, you'll have what's advertised as the ultimate meal replacement! Beat that. :P

Amy said...

Do you think I was born yesterday? Of course I've tried Vector. And while I agree with your assertion that it is a delicious cereal, it's just that: A cereal; too flakey to be eaten out of hand and considered a snack food. I'm sorry, I don't make the rules.

Renée said...

LOL. That's a fallacy of logic! If snacks are defined as being a light meal or bite, than anything that satisfies that criteria should fit. If we consider the words of Wikipedia as definitive (ha ha), then any food item consumed purely for the enjoyment of taste is a snack. Plus you’re arguing for mini-wheats. The last I looked I found them a shelf away from my choice navy blue box.

Broken potato chips, flaky Florentines, thin banana chips, and Bits N' Bites (what Shreddies? Cheerios?) are all snacks that are probably smaller in size and equally crunchy/thick as Vector flakes (we're not talking Raisin Bran size; think small rustic crackers). I'll stand by my assertion that they're an awesome snack food and will see you, box in hand, in the "cereal" aisle. ;P

Anyway, truce?

(Nuts and cheeses have been on rotation lately more than the open bag of Vector.)

Amy said...

Snack foods must be large enough to be easily eaten from between the pointer finger and the thumb. It's what sets us apart from the monkeys.