Monday, May 3, 2010

A farewell pasta

Christiane Amanpour did it last week and now I’m doing it tomorrow. No, I’m not growing my bangs longer or going to work at ABC News, but I am switching gears by becoming the food editor at House & Home magazine. I’m very excited about my new position and can’t wait to work with such a great group of creative people, in an office that isn’t also my home.

Fear not, I’ll still be doing my freelance writing and finishing my novel, but with the added responsibilities of creating delicious recipes that will inspire millions of House & Home readers to cook each month, I’m sorry to say but you turkeys have just become redundant: No more Recipe Mondays at the National Nosh.

But the news isn't all bad. First of all, I'll continue blogging here say, once a week. That's still good, right?

Also, I'll be blogging from the House & Home site, which means you'll get all of the great food news, snack ideas, restaurant suggestions and likewise tips you've come to rely on over the past couple of years -- only now you'll be getting them from a fancy new blog address.

It's me, only better.

And should you forget about our new reality and still come to this site next Monday all eager to get cooking, only to find there's no new recipe for you to try, don't be all sad and nostalgic. Instead, simply type you favourite food into the search engine, be it potato or cake or even cauliflower, and I'm sure something delicious will pop up.

But in the meantime, let us bid adieu to Recipe Mondays with this easy farewell pasta.

Spaghetti with capers, anchovies and crumbs

(serves 4)

350g spaghetti

8 anchovy fillets packed in olive oil

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

4-5 tbsp capers

a few big handfuls of fresh breadcrumbs or panko

5 cloves of garlic, crushed

a big pinch of chilli flakes

fresh cracked pepper

a few handfuls of fresh chopped greenery such as parsley, arugula, chives or a mixture of the three

juice of half a lemon

fresh Parmesan

Method:

Put a big pot of salted water on to boil and cook spaghetti as per the package instructions. Once cooked, drain in a colander in the sink.

While pasta is draining, use same pot and heat olive oil (reserving 2 tbsp for toasting crumbs) on medium-low heat and stir in anchovies cooking them until they have disintegrated. Stir in capers and remove from heat.

In a frying pan, heat remaining olive oil, then add breadrumbs or panko, garlic cloves and chili flakes. Cook until garlic is golden and so are the crumbs. Discard garlic.

Toss drained spaghetti with the anchovy mixture, then season with pepper and salt if needed. Add the greens and stir about. Divide pasta between dinner plates or bowls, then sprinkle with the fried breadcrumb and some grated Parmesan. Add a squirt of lemon and a drizzle of olive oil at the table.

1 comment:

Megan H Carroll said...

congrats on the new job... that is exciting!