Sunday, April 22, 2012

Eat here: Hawker Bar

I know, I know, we're all sick of hearing about all of the groovy new restaurants opening up on Ossington, as if Ossington was the only street in Toronto and Toronto was the only city in Canada. But let me tell you about just one more. Actually, two more. I ate at two new Ossington restaurants this week and had distinctly different experiences at each.
First up, Yours Truly. I'm not going to go into too much detail here because we just had snacks and drinks. The cocktails were good. I highly recommend the John Candy, a winning mix of rye, maple, ginger, lemon and I think some bitters. But then I can't tell you about much else. Not because I was drunk, but because a half-hour later not only had I forgotten what I had eaten, but I had forgotten that I had even eaten at all. Not a great sign. That said, they also have a tasting menu and an admirable-sounding veg tasting menu too, so it wouldn't be fair of me to judge the place based a few bites of unremarkable snacks.
Next up, Hawker Bar. Not only do I remember everything I ate here, but I've been daydreaming about several delicious bites ever since Thursday. Only about a week old, the Singaporean-inspired menu is all texture and spice, hot and sticky (actually, incredibly hot, temperature-wise: Mind your mouth!) warming and cheerful. I'm not going to tell you what to eat, because you should really try everything that appeals (the hardest part is choosing), but what I will say is if you want a hot, fast meal with smiling service, fair prices and wooden stumps as seats, this is the place for you. Oh, and don't miss the chicken wings. (Tip: The resto link has photos of some of the dishes we ate. Also, they have takeout.) 
Get excited. 

No comments: