Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Onion Marmalade


I may not always have a fridge full of food, but I do maintain a consistent supply of my onion marmalade. I tasted something like it in Wales last year, made several changes and am now claiming it as my own. Because that's how I roll. 
I'm seriously addicted to the stuff. A hunk of cheese, sliced apple, some baguette and a great spoonful of onion marmalade makes me happier than this.
And I don't need to be the one telling you that it's the perfect accompaniment to any cheese platter. Probably the only fat-free holiday recipe you'll come by, too.
ONION MARMALADE
Ingredients:
2 medium cooking onions 
4 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp maple syrup
Method:
Thinly slice onions and put them in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add remaining ingredients and stir, making sure the sugar is dissolved and onions break into rings. Taste the liquid: Is it sweet enough? If not, add more sugar or syrup. Is it too sweet? Add more water or vinegar. Is it perfect? You rule.
Simmer over low heat for an hour and a half, stirring now and again until onions are translucent and liquid is syrupy. Will keep in the fridge for a solid two weeks.

5 comments:

Roberto Verì said...

Will it work with leek, the holiest of the Alliaceae family?

Amy said...

I haven't tried it, but my gut says it wouldn't be as good.

Roberto Verì said...

But you've nothing against the leek per se? VERY happy to see you blogging. Best wishes, Chef.

Arjun said...

Amy is not a fan of the leek.

Amy said...

Not true. I love leeks. Just not in this recipe.