Thursday, December 11, 2008

A quick lunch


I didn't have much food in the house, which was a shame because it was lunchtime, I was hungry, and I didn't feel like heading out and battling the cold
Instead, I surveyed the fridge: A few crimini mushrooms, a couple of Omega-3 eggs, the heel of the challah and the dregs of the butter. 
Looked like lunch to me. 
So, I sauteed the mushrooms in butter, seasoning them well, cut a hole out of the slice of bread and buttered it -- including the circle from the hole, my favourite part. I added the bread to the hot pan, cracked the egg into the hole, cooked till done and topped with the 'shrooms.
A sprinkling of Maldon salt and Herbs de Provence -- and mustn't forget the hot sauce; that's key. 
It was like making lunch out of nothing at all.

No comments: