Thursday, December 11, 2008

Sedaris and Caramel Corn

I have sore cheeks today. I woke up with sore cheeks because I was smiling so hard and laughing so much last night.
Because I went to the David Sedaris reading at Massey Hall. 
If you've never read him before, you should. He writes short stories, mostly about his fun but dysfunctional family, and his longtime boyfriend Hugh. Start by reading the "SantaLand Diaries", move on to "Naked" and "Me Talk Pretty One Day" and a few others, before making your way to his most recent release, "When You Are Engulfed in Flames". (It starts out slow but quickly picks up steam.)
Now, this is a food blog so I would be remiss if I didn't mention the delightful snack we were eating while enjoying David Sedaris. 
Earlier that day I had a great lunch at Four restaurant -- my recent successful lunching streak continues unabated. Petit Four is at Bay and Wellington, in the food court of the Commerce Court South, Concourse Level. It shares the space with the subterranean restaurant Four. 
Four is incredibly unique in that chef Gord Mackie's menu is a commitment to healthy but classy eats in the Financial District. All of the dishes are packed with colour, flavour and nutrients and are less than 650 calories -- with many far below that. Petit Four, meanwhile, is all about satisfying take-out -- sandwiches, soups and the like, including on-site baked goodies and sweets.
Knowing how my friend Joanna loves her caramel corn, I grabbed her a bag of their homespun, nutty, crunchy, sticky caramel-coated popcorn as a wee thank-you for the awesome Sedaris ticket. And it was good.
But not as good as David Sedaris

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you and David Sedaris equally. From your jealous friend in Victoria.