10. Fresh nuts from the shell using a nutcracker. ‘Tis the season.
8. Roasted vegetables: I always feel like I get an extra boost of beta-carotene during fall.
7. Mother Nature’s broad-strokes of gold, crimson and orange, along with the harvest moon, are all vibrant reminders of the earth’s bounty.
6. The aroma of chimney smoke makes city streets smell like the country, which also reminds me where our food grows.
5. Halloween candy! And caramel apples!
4. Summer’s over and winter’s not yet here. Now’s the time to ride the wave of nature’s most soulful season. Sure, there’s pumpkin and other squash. But think about larger joints of meat, or birds and stuffing, oily fish like sardines and mackerel, and seasonal cakes and pies (pumpkin, pecan, apple and the like). It’s like the holidays, minus the extra fat and humiliating office Xmas party PDAs.
3. I find the colour-burst of trees so breathtaking that I’m almost afraid to drive (I’m easily distracted.) So I walk a lot, in the cool temps with a warm fleece under a blue sky. And then I reward myself with a great latte and fresh-baked treat from one of my area coffee shops.
1. Time to make the switch from G&Ts back to red wine!