Friday, April 3, 2009

A sustainable podcast

Melanie Coates is the coolest chick you'll ever meet. She's the top PR gal at the Fairmont Royal York, where I bumped into her yesterday at an event heralding the launch of the Ocean Wise seafood program -- a big, smart sustainable hit out west -- in Ontario. I'll write more about it in a future Dish column. 
I like the Canadian-owned Fairmont chain. They do good work (bees on the rooftop, excellent greening programs at most of their hotels), much of it behind the scenes. 
They've also got their own radio station, called Radio Royal York. Isn't that cheeky? Even better, Melanie is its host. And, judging by her radio voice, if she ever gave up her day job, Mel could make a killing as a sex phone operator. This week's podcast is on Ocean Wise. Listen in.

In other news, while we're on the topic of the historic Royal York hotel, I'd like to point out that while the National Nosh's next Recipe Monday will likely feature a delicious Passover dish, I'm well aware that there's another big holiday on the horizon. 
And to show that I'm an inclusive Jewess, here is some info all of you Toronto-based Easter celebrating friends can use in the week or so ahead...
The Fairmont Royal York is bringing back their Easter to Go dinner. Straight from their kitchens, the culinary brigade is set to prepare traditional Easter dinners with all the trimmings. Dinners include:
Starter
Cream of spring asparagus soup with sun-dried tomatoes and chives
Main
Roast leg of spring lamb, rosemary pinot noir sauce, mint jelly, roast potatoes and caramelized root vegetable medley
OR
Boneless honey-glazed ham, roast potatoes, tomato apricot chutney and caramelized root vegetable medley. 
Dessert
Chocolate easter eggs filled with while chocolate Grand Marnier mousse 

Meals can be prepared for 4-18 people, starting at $115 for the ham supper for 4. Call 416-860-5050 for more info or to place your orders. 
And enjoy your lamb while I'm choking down matzo.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi!!
Just wanted to let you know that I just stumbled across your blog today and it's really great! I hope it's okay, but I posted a link to it on my Youth Leaders 4 Health facebook group, as I thought some of our members may be interested in following your blog.

We're currently working on a project that focuses on food security and food systems issues in Ontario, using a variety of social media tools and established programs in the community. If you're on facebook, I urge you to check out our group! I will definitely be keeping up with your blog!


http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=52659497519&ref=ts