Monday, April 13, 2009

Top 5 ways to eat matzo


I know what you're thinking: 'Matzo again? I liked it much better when she wouldn't stop talking about chocolate. But matzo? Feh!'
Forgive me this one little indulgence, and I promise it's the last time you'll have to hear about matzo from me for another year.
It's what I'm eating this week, so it's what you have to eat too if you want to suffer along, I mean, enjoy the Passover holiday along with me.
Matzo brei is my second favourite way to eat matzo, my first being the chocolate covered variety I featured last week. But since this matzo is fried (that's what brei or brie means), it comes in at a very close second.
Here are my Top 5 Ways to Eat Matzo:
1. Chocolate almond caramel matzo
2. Matzo brei
3. Matzo balls
4. Matzo lasagna
5. Matzo with lox and cream cheese (old habits die hard)
What are your favourite matzo recipes? Share with us in the comments section.
I like this easy fried matzo recipe, as it's fast and comforting, at once filling and fulfilling. 
Still, as with so many things in Judaism, there is much debate as to whether it should be served sweet or savoury. As in salt and pepper, cheese or even a sprinkling of za'atar, versus topped with sugar, kosher for Passover 778 jam, maple syrup or honey.
Personally, I'm on the sweet side of things, simply because that's how we ate it growing up. So here's my take on matzo brei, with a tasty apple topper.
MATZO BREI WITH APPLES AND HONEY
(serves 4)
Ingredients:
some butter for the pan
3 apples, cored and sliced
a few good shakes of cinnamon
a big handful of chopped pecans
a good glug of honey
more butter for the pan
4 pieces egg matzo
boiling water
4 eggs
pinch of salt
Method:
Heat butter in a large pan and add apples and cinnamon, cooking until apples start to soften. Add pecans and honey and continue cooking until apples start to caramelize. Remove from pan and set aside in a bowl. Should be a little syrupy. Wipe out pan.
Put kettle on to boil while breaking the matzo into small chunks. Put broken matzo in a colander, then pour the boiling water over the top. Let drain as you beat the eggs well in a large bowl, and then add the drained matzo to the bowl with a pinch of salt. Heat the large pan again, add some butter and add eggy matzo mixture to pan, cooking on low heat until golden brown on one side. Flip, then brown on the other side. It's okay if it gets broken up a bit. 
Serve topped with apple mixture, and another dash of cinnamon. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would agree with your top 4... however, egg matzah with margarine has to go somewhere on the list!

Amy said...

You're right. The classic.

Anonymous said...

i love my matzo with just enough butter spread all over it and some sea salt on top. YUM. :)

Anonymous said...

love the top four but matzo with cream cheese is still the BOMB!









However...Passover stinks!

Anonymous said...

Matzo is great not plain! Put your own style on it! Chocolate go for it!









However...Passover stinks!

Anonymous said...

hello! HELLO!